Why we do what we do…
We, as people, tend to have senseless habits and make irrational decisions without really knowing why we made them or how irrational they are. This can apply to a variety of areas but I will stick to four: fitness, writing, smoking and business.
- As a writer, what reasons do you give yourself to not write each day?
- How do you justify not exercising more often?
- What excuses do you give yourself for smoking?
- What mindset keeps you from taking your business to the next level?
Close your eyes and try coming up with reasons or excuses for each of the questions I have asked you above. Do you think your reasons and reasonable? They might be to you but they usually are not!
Irrationality & senseless habits:
We don’t really realize it but we tend to tell ourselves stories to make up reasons for the things we do or don’t do. The ‘because’ behind our actions can be illogical but we still allow it to justify our actions.
Actually, the copy machine study conducted to further understand human behavior, revealed that the word ‘because’ is much more powerful than we can imagine as it can be the driving force behind doing something or having people doing it for you!
Lessons to learn:
- If you want someone to do you a favor, be sure to use the word ‘because’ and give that someone a reason to do the favor for you.
- If you think that your irrational and senseless habits, thoughts or actions are always justifiable, you need to think deeper and truly understand the reasons for why you choose to do what you do!
Have you ever been in a situation where you really can’t explain your actions or thoughts to yourself? Do you believe in the power of ‘because’ in influencing human behavior? Share with us your thoughts below!